Seat Swap

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
gavmich123

Couldn't really find anyhting in the search so thought I would ask.

What seats are a straight swap with the Mightyboy mounts.?
Our MB seats are about as comfy as a milk crate and pretty old.
gadj

Quite a few seats will fit - most Suzuki sedan/hatch seats, Daihatsu Charade/ Handivan, Holden Barina. There are plenty of others - you will have to get out your tape measure &/or make a template of your current seat bolt holes then go to work at the wreckers or check out the racing seats that Supercheap are stocking now.
I ended up using '79 Colt seats - had to modify bolt holes to suit MB. runners the seats are ok. But they are a little too high & wide - the seatbelt gets stuck between the seat & door + the seat does not move fully forward.
If getting seats out of another vehicle, be sure to look for coupe or ute seats as sedan/wagons don't flip forward for access to the rear of cab.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
gavmich123

Looking at SWIFT or Barina seats had a look today at the wreckers but really not much to choose from.... Commodore and Falcon seats were way to big. Some of the Huyndai seats were OK but didn't take tape measure so wasn't sure on heights from seat top to roof area....

Is there a rule for how high the new seats can be...?
emjay

Hi Guys

Need some help with replacement seats - Will seats from a 96-2000 EK Honda Civic Hatchback fit in a MB
Thanks
Brayden

They'll probably fit with custom brackets, but definitely not a direct swap.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

I have been thinking about fitting up some seats from a Tx5 Turbo Hatch, to my boy, as my seats are also getting rather shagged.

The Tx5 seats don't look much bigger than my boy's seats, but they won't have the fold forward action ( i don't think ). Am yet to take a tape measure to them or check out the seat rails, but i'm sure i could make some mod's to the rails or adapters if need be. My g/f has a Tx5 turbo hatch i can use to measure up the seats & check out the rails. Might even post some pics soon.

Would modified rails or fitment of seats other than original require an engineer's report?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

'Technically' if you use the original seat rails then you don't need an engineers certificate. I assume the fine print also says that the original rails must bolt directly to the seats, but that would be tough for the 5-0 to work out!

TX5 seats should go close. I had '88 Mazda 323 (Ford Laser) seats in my MB years ago, and all I needed to do was drill holes in the seat base and attach it to the original rails with some high tensile bolts/nuts.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

Very interesting. Next item on the hunt list is a pair of Tx5 seats! And to think i just sold a pair of LH Torana buckets, which btw are way too big for a 'boy, and gave away a pair of VH commy buckets. lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
ToranaGuy

I ended up measuring up the Tx5 seats, and i'm looking at the outer base padding making contact with the doors if fit into the boy. The seats padding could be modified a tad to miss, about an inch off the padding would do it, but i also seen something else that may be a good seat for the boy, but not quite as comfy as the Tx5 seats.

Some laser Tx3 seats. I spied them in a wreckers, but the drivers one was shagged, the laser was wrapped around a pole on the drivers side. Passenger seat was in tact & not bad to sit in. So maybe i should be looking for a pair of them instead......

Cheers

ToranaGuy
StarSkyHatch

I fit a pair of 87 Honda Integra seats into my hatch, all it needed was some 12mm flat bar cut and drilled for the original rails and new seat holes however I will need to re make them out of 15mm RHS so they can be set back a bit further :)

PJ..
ToranaGuy

StarSkyHatch wrote:I fit a pair of 87 Honda Integra seats into my hatch, all it needed was some 12mm flat bar cut and drilled for the original rails and new seat holes however I will need to re make them out of 15mm RHS so they can be set back a bit further :)

PJ..
Sounds interesting, got any pics?

Cheers

ToranaGuy