Gear Box Confusion

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
eris

Hi Guys

In my mighty boy I have a 800 motor ( engineered ticket) with what I think is a 800 box, had bearing noise, pulled it apart and found the rear bearing on the input shaft burnt and very noisy to top it off broke a bolt in the lower housing between the input shaft and the cluster shaft :cry:
to make things a bit speedy I have a spare 800 box ?? in the garage which I will put in for the short term.... now problem... both boxes have the 671B marking on the selecter plate under the boxes but the speedo drive is different 1box female the other male drive???? ... when I was driving the car with the old box in it, it seemed to rev out doing 90 ks . could the old box be a 550 with the different speedo drive or is there a way of telling them apart besides the selecter plate 671B . thank you for any HELP :?
do red Mighty Boys go faster down hill???
Brayden

I don't think the marking on the inspection plate has any relevance to the gearbox type, but I'll check a couple of boxes I have at home.

From memory the speedo drive scenario is like this:
MB/Hatch 550 - male drive (female cable)
Hatch 800 - male drive (female cable)
Alto 800 - female drive (male cable)

The easiest way to tell what gearbox you have is speed vs RPM. 100kmh/5000RPM for a 550 box, and 100kph/4200RPM for 800 box.
If you can't drive the ute to check, then I guess the only way to be certain would be to compare the crownwheels and see which has more/less teeth.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
eris

thank you, so if I pulled the spare box apart ( without snapping any bolts) do you know how many teeth on the crown wheel the 800 would have, or do the 800 have more teeth than a 550 or the other way around I can't remember ( getting old :cry: thank you again :D
do red Mighty Boys go faster down hill???
Brayden

The 800 should have less teeth than the 550, but I don't know the exact count.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

have't pulled one of these apart but would have thought the ratios would be engraved on the crown wheel.
ToranaGuy

mowog wrote:have't pulled one of these apart but would have thought the ratios would be engraved on the crown wheel.
A few final drive gear sets i've seen have the ratio stamped into them. If i wasn't so busy i'd check my gearboxes in the shed, i have a box i know to be a spare f8b, and a box that could be either a f8b or f5a, and i've got a known f5a box in my boy. They all need rebuilding.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|