G10a questions

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
EVL_801

Hey guys you have to be getting sick off me but how much trouble would it be to put a g10a in my boy? i cant seem to find an f8b in my price bracket
[img]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2665/evl801signature.jpg[/img]
jeff

Howdy that depends on time ,money and expertise, mounts ,drive shafts ,brakes ,fuel pump,etc etc blah blah (and of course theres the Engineers certificate ) Trevors got an official thread for his conversion check that out,theres plenty of info, its an easier option with the 800 swap (spent nearly 2.5G +on my G10 conversion)do some reading and see if its what you want to do, there are answers to most questons,those not in print could be answered with a post,cheers
gadj

I have found the hardest part of the conversion is finding a G10 & 5 speed to start with.
My MB has been complied for a G10 - had been converted before coming into my care but driveline was removed prior to acquisition. I ended up running F8B until it dropped a cylinder. Now waiting for funds to resurrect with G10.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
EVL_801

Well thats the thing id love to run an f8b but cant seem to find all the stuff i need in 1 hit!
ToranaGuy

EVL_801 wrote:Well thats the thing id love to run an f8b but cant seem to find all the stuff i need in 1 hit!
Sounds like it's time to start hoarding bits then!

You don't have to change the gearbox, it's a good idea but you can use your F5a box. You can also use the F5a sump & flywheel. Radiator if it's in good nick as well. You still need your engine mounts & the front engine cradle from the F5a. Reuse your alternator.

What bits have you been able to get locally? I know where there is a semi complete F8b in a wreckers near my place, but they probably want too much for it. I think it was missing the dizzy & alternator last i looked at it. It was also attached to an auto.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
EVL_801

AS yet i havent got a damn thing lol im looking tho and also considering options im umming and arrring on what to do as yet either way project EVL_801 WILL get a bigger motor just not sure what yet :)
ToranaGuy

EVL_801 wrote:AS yet i havent got a damn thing lol im looking tho and also considering options im umming and arrring on what to do as yet either way project EVL_801 WILL get a bigger motor just not sure what yet :)
What about the 3pot 1ltr from the early swifts, is that the G10a engine?

You could use a 3cyl charade engine, cb60 i think it's called. We know that they can be turbo'd and there is hot up bits for them. The later charade 3 pot is EFI as well.

I remember seeing pics of a 4cyl suzuki engine, i think g13a carby engine in a mighty boy, it was a mighty tight fit & would pose issues with legality.

I hope you have talked to an engineer about the possibilities, eg the G10, cb60 & so on, see what he has to say about it. No point building it for the road if you can't get it engineered.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
jeff

howdy , some good points about engineering , the only thing between what you want and what can be acheived is how much time and money you can throw at it and how determined you are (and dont give up), cheers
ToranaGuy

jeff wrote:howdy , some good points about engineering , the only thing between what you want and what can be acheived is how much time and money you can throw at it and how determined you are (and dont give up), cheers
That's about it. But it doesn't always take a truck load of money, sometimes you just need to have all the tools & the time to do the job. The tools tho, they cost a fair bit, lol. My shed has cost me a lot to " tool up " and there's many more tools i need to get.

It's amazing what a man can achieve in his shed when he doesn't have bean counters saying, nope, you can't do that.......

EG, i've seen some wicked custom cars that you have to look twice at to realise just what they are, like a 2dr EH wagon, with windows & properly stretched doors, built like a "sedan delivery " of the 60's. Also seen a EF or EL falcon station wagon given the same treatment, man they looked hot!

Seen a 5 seater HG panel van with an injected 5lt running gear in it, also fit with all the mod con's of the statesman that was the organ donor. Eg dash, cruise, air, power steer, leather seats. Seen an XY that's a EL XR8 under the skin. Just amazing.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
jeff

Absolutely,dont get me wrong I also do the bulk of what is neccessary not always with the appropriate tools , with the required result, but they are still relative (if you have the money it doesnt take much time, if you have the time it doesnt cost much money) if you got the desire then nothing anybody says is gonna change that, otherwise the roads would be filled with boring showroom cars,cheers