gearbox fluid

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
1_tuf_mb

i think i have seen this same question asked but what the hell..... the mighty is nearing compleation and i was just wanting to check what gear box fluid people have been putting in a 5 speed f6a... vmx80???
Say Yes 2 Boost :)
grant4561

I use Castrol Syntrax in my cappo and it makes a big difference to gear changes but is a bit more expensive than most of the others.
Tez

Hi Tuf.

Asked the same question about three months ago. I recently completed a rebuild on my 543 & refilled the box with VMX80 on Brayden's recommendation - No issues, running sweet as.

Edit - Found the link:
http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=gearbox

Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...
1_tuf_mb

when you say syntrax do u mean their synthetic 75w90? i think most of the listings say about that weight but i did think i remembered Brayden saying 80w.... $ is no real option that part doesnt matter i just want good protection and the right thickness for the smoothest shifting... from memory when the setup was in the hatch it usuall grinds into reverse... thanks for the feedback guys
jeff

Howdy , I remember reading else where about auto fluid being used in manual boxes is this recommended/used by any one and is it OK to mix them ( sorry for hijacking ), cheers.
greenzook89

hey shar, I used to use vmx80 in the hatch, and yeah it used to grind into reverse sometimes, calibur told me it was the syncro but i never got around to checking it.

Damn I really wish i'd kept that car, so much fun!!

Oh BTW redline shockproof works awesome in skyline boxes, so maybe for the hatch/mb too?
Need Paint and Panel Work Done Around Brisbane?? PM me!
1_tuf_mb

hey josh thanks for the heads up. i will try the synthetic 75w90 and see how it goes if it doesnt like it i think i will try somethin even better like the redline. by the way the BM is almost ready, its taking so long coz i decided to straighten the body and repair the many rust problems it had. almost ready 4 fresh paint now.... Satin Black
Kartman

I'm always a bit suspicious of using synthetics in anything. I've had bad experiences with corrosion in gearboxes since synthetics are hydroscopic - they soak up moisture from the air. This moisture ends up on your gears and they rust. Not a problem if the car gets run often, but if you leave it a while (months) without use, then you may have an issue. The old mineral based oils don't seem to have this problem. This issue might be cured in some products with additives and I've not investigated the problem further.
greenzook89

1_tuf_mb wrote:hey josh thanks for the heads up. i will try the synthetic 75w90 and see how it goes if it doesnt like it i think i will try somethin even better like the redline. by the way the BM is almost ready, its taking so long coz i decided to straighten the body and repair the many rust problems it had. almost ready 4 fresh paint now.... Satin Black
Sweet! Send me some pics when you get a chance!
Need Paint and Panel Work Done Around Brisbane?? PM me!