White Boy

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Dave

Hey guys,

Been looking for a Mighty Boy for a while now, just waiting for the right one to pop up locally for the right price i guess...

Anyway, i picked up my first MB yesterday for $500. It's the one i posted here - http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=390. I gave the guy a call on sunday, drove down to Jimboomba monday, got a 1 day rego and drove it home :D Did the 2.5 hour trip on 100-110 km/h no worries!

I'll tell you a bit about it.

Someone had attempted to steal it and stuffed the ignition barrel, so i had to stall it to turn it off and hot wire it to start it. As soon as i got home i fixed that problem temporarily and made it button start (see pic below).

It already had an F8B conversion done, and it has the secondary throttle linkage mod done too:D (see pic below).

Has some sweet re trimmed seats in it, which are in my Hatch for now. Also has a dash mat (LOL) and a tacho, which is pretty cool

Only bad points i've found so far:

-Small dent near drivers side head light, nothing some gentle persuasion with a hammer can't fix.

-Tiny bit of cancer in the middle of the tray, about the size of a 20c coin (see pic)

-Blows a heap of smoke and some oil out of the little air breather filter on the tappet cover(see pic)

-Me, being the dumbass i am, forgot to ask for the freakin' keys... how stupid is THAT :x. Luckily the guy i bought it off is sending it too me though :oops:.

-Paint is faded/chalky. a good cut & polish should make it a bit better.

Plans for it: Steal the alternator, seats, tacho and maybe the carby for my Hatch, since the Hatch is rego'd and is my daily and what not. If/when i can track down another alternator i'll fix the MB up. Needs a few things for it to pass roadworthy, blah blah blah. It'll be on the road eventually. I was gonna give it an Aussie Export panda style paint job, but i'm pretty sure another user on here already has something similar going on with his MB.

Thats about all i can think of now. I'll leave you some pic's to have a geeze at.

Pic showing lack of ignition barrel and temporary button/switch start.

Since i'm a dumbass and don't have keys for it yet, i can't lock it. So at the moment you could just walk up to it, open the door, push the button and drive off. SO... I installed a car alarm in the tray :)
Thats my purebred male Staffy, his names Cooter. Loves being in the back of the MB and refuses to get out sometimes.

Cancer :(

Interior after a much needed clean. Those homo playboy seats are from my Hatch. The seat covers are basically holding a few chunks of foam together, roughly in the shape of a seat.

Secondary linkage thing. And my red, oily engine bay.

Got it yesterday and put it straight to work today. Loaded the back with rocks and drove it from my front yard into the back yard and dumped them there. 2 trips in the MB, would have taken around 30 with a wheel barrow. Gotta love it :)

Aaaaannnd a few pics of the outside.

That's it for now guys.

Cheers
Dave
Billie

Alternators arent interchangable from mb to hatch. Mb is internal regulated and hatch external.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Dave

Even if the MB has an F8B in it?
Brayden

No because it would still be using the F5A MB alternator, because the Hatch F8B alternator won't work in an MB.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dave

Damn. Oh well, I'll keep looking for one i spose.
gadj

Dave, do a search on alternators on this forum & you will find an alternative or two to the original.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
MGirl x 3

Wow Dave she looks nice and neat......not bad for the price u paid....good score, good luck with what you want to do with her. I took one of mine to the tip yesterday....what a load of fun :) Wanted to bring home a double matress for the dogs bed and the guy tried to convince me to load it on the roof....lol...not, have to wait till the weekend when the big ute is home. Still got to move alot of shit from the yard and had alot of fun doing so with the new stero system blurring......lol
Just a mum who has found another passion other than her kids....."Mighty Boys" :)
Tez

Nice pickup Dave...

Now you can tell all of us "I told you so!" 8)

You definately need to bring that to Albury :wink:

Wait until you've driven it for a little while - it will steal your heart away from your hatch... :twisted:

Cheers! :lol:
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Billie

You can fit a alternator from a ford. I had one on mine but it does take abit of the power away from the engine being a 110amp. Cant remember what falcon its off. Ef? lol
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Dave

Haha, thanks guys. If i can get them both on the road i want to try and bring both down to albury :).

I'll do a quick search and see what i can find regarding the alternator. What did you have to do to fit the ford one Billie? rewiring? make a bracket so it fits on?

Cheers
Dave
Dave

I need the alternator for the Hatch, not the MB though. Would that matter?

Cheers
Dave
Brayden

Yes it does. As mentioned a few times now the Hatch has an external voltage regulator. So you either need an alternator without a voltage reg, or rewire the engine bay to suit an internally regulated alternator.

FYI - almost anything built post-1980 will have an internally regulated alternator. The Hatch doesn't because it was built with 70's hangover parts.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dave

How hard is it to rewire it so i can use the MB alternator?
Billie

Not that hard, get rid of the regulator and put a wire from the alternator to the battery with a fuse? Lolz.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Dave

I thought something like that, but i decided it couldn't possibly be that easy... Hmmmm. Might have a crack at it tomorrow, hopefully without something catching fire and/or blowing up. If no one has noticed yet, i'm mechanically retarded :P

Cheers
Dave