need help once again on my MB

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
MYT801

hi guys, once again i need help on my mightyboy.. had problems with me car since august 2010. having to rebuild the motor.. did that changed the subframe on it (converted to manual) and so on.. Since rebuild i have had to change the carby and most electrical things.. now yesterday i took the fuel tank out of the car due to heavy missing, car stalls and jumps and so on. so i took the tank out and it is full of rust.. (previous owner said he flushed tank out). I took the tank off our *donor hatch* :twisted: and placed that on and works fine. Now to the problem. it runs smooth and had it perfectly tuned. now i take it for a little drive and when i let it idle it will die, then cut back in and then dies and kicks back in etc. (when i dies it nearly stalls and when it kicks back to life it back to normal idling speed. but once it gets a fast idle its fine. Any ideas anyone? this really has me stumped.. :crazy:
Billie

Vaccum leak? Idle not adjusted properly? Did you change the fuel filter when you put the hatch tank in? Doesnt take much to clog a filter up with rust/dirt in the tank. Generally its best to take it to a mechanic, let them sort it out.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

You will need to check the rest of the fuel system - start with cleaning out the carbie & ensuring the float level is right & work back towards the fuel tank making certain there are no restrictions to flow. Also try blowing down the fuel return line to be sure it isn't blocked. Vacuum leaks are definitely a possibility & don't neccessarily occur around vacuum hoses & barbs - they can present between gasket facings around the carbie & manifold. Once that is out of the way check timing is correct (I did not find this easy with my F8b).
You might be able to see why Billie suggested you enlist one of his trade peers now :P
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
MYT801

haha my dads an ex mechanic and he trying to figure it out, we fully rebuilt the carby and blew out fuel lines and changed filter so you think it might have something to do with sucking air?
Brayden

Check the electrics - earths, idle solenoid, coil, points and HT leads.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Not trying to be rude but if he was a mechanic, how come your on here asking whats wrong? Its just a process of narrowing each factor out. Like Brayden said, it could be electrical, plugs and leads etc.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
MYT801

thats the thing.we have done everything. we are going to get the good hatches carby and try that one next week after the long weekend.. :NFI:
MYT801

could a bad resistor have something to do with erratic idling? :stupid:
Brayden

What resistor?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gadj

Ballast resistor won't affect idle that way... when a ballast resistor dies, the engine will start but refuse to run when you let the key return to the run position.
I have had more than one good mechanic say that "if a fuel problem is indicated, it is just as likely an ignition (electrical)problem & vice versa" so it is a matter of eliminating what is not a problem until you get a result...sometimes you will get a fix without finding the problem.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
MYT801

ill have a look next week, i think i can hear a short comming from the dizzy or around there, sort of like a tick every now and then. NOT HAPPY :x
gadj

I suspect you're onto something - try strarting it up in the dark & you might just see the ignition leak.