And so it begins

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Trav

Mowog, yeap chrome handles on the Hatch. $25 and their yours.

Mini, they stick out a fair way. I have the flares, but not sure if they will be enough by the time I put 175/50R13's on them. Might have the get the guard flared a bit extra. I will get the tyres before I get it painted, then I can see if I need to take them out.
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
Trav

Well, got the last piece to the jigsaw puzzle, an F6A engine that I will be ripping the EFI parts off to fit to the F8B. Now to work out how the hell it all fits together. I'll start building the MegaSquirt this week, then I can have a play with it using a simulator to get use to how it works.

I will be ripping the F5A out of the Boy soon and it will be up for sale, complete with gearbox. It runs, just needs a really good tune. Will put up a post on the For Sale folder when it comes out.

Slowly, slowly it's coming together.
Trav

So, have started to put the MegaSquirt together and have sorted out most of the sensors for the EFI. Just got a couple of questions I'm hopeing I can get sorted.

1 - My F6A EFI uses an Idle Speed Controll valve. Does anyone know if it is a stepper motor type or rotary (PWM) type?

2 - Just need to confirm that the F6A dizzy uses a variable reluctor as it's signal generator

3 - Brayden, did you use the EGR valve on your system? I was thinking of taking it off if it is not required. I will be blocking off the EGR pipe anyway.

Cheers
Brayden

First thing I did was remove the EGR. ;) Also removed the IAC valve, which in hindsight I probably should put back on. Mine is a stepper FWIW.

F6A distributor is reluctor, not hall-effect.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Trav

Thanks for that. Need to know so I can put the right circuit in the MegaSquirt.
Breyten

Trav wrote:Some more bits have turned up! Still waiting on my EPI bits from Japan and then I need to save up some cash and I'll strip the boy for painting.
That front spoiler, what are the details on it?
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Trav

It's black and came from Japan. :lol:

Got it through Import Monster and a company called GinyaKobo makes them. Apparently it is a copy of an original option. They have heaps of cool stuff to fit to the boy. My wallet suffers every time I look at their website. :)

It doesn't quite fit properly, so will need a bit of massageing to make it fit. Still a fair way off as i just don't have the cash at the moment.
Breyten

Looked through their site last night.

Yay! bits I thought I would have to get custom moulded, I can just buy. :)
Trav

Well, thought I would take advantage of the holidays and do a bit on the boy.

So, as I was pulling out the old F5A I thought I would see how the AMR500 would sit. It looks like I have a bit of a problem.
A bit to tight
A bit to tight
Sits a bit to far forward
Sits a bit to far forward
The S/C rubs against the oil filter and isn't in line with the crank pully, this could be worked around. The problem is that it sits to far forward and I still haven't put on the intake yet. Had a look at the other side of the motor and it is even worse.

So, now I am thinking of maybe getting an AMR300 but not sure if it would be enough for an F8B. The other option is to mount it somewhere else and use an electric motor to turn the S/C. :)

Well, back to the head scratching
Breyten

Oil filter relocation kit?

Pulley/shaft setup along the back to position it over the gearbox? My old BMW had the a/c compressor at the back of the engine.
Trav

Running a pulley system to above the gear box would be interesting.

Also thought about mounting it on top of the engine and have it sticking through the bonnet. :twisted:
Billie

How much power do you think you'll get? I'v got an amr300 on mine(factory fitted) and it never ran outta puff in the donor car. Check my pics for how the amr300 sits on the front of the car.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Breyten

Hey billie, how do we check your pics? Thought the old galleries were gone
Billie

In my build thread, in the projects section. Also I can still get onto tamon gallery.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Trav

Well, my little AMR300 turned up today and fits nicely in where the alternator sits. Used the Mighty Boy alternator top bracket just to see how she would sit.
AMR300 test fit
AMR300 test fit
Going to fit an oil filter relocation kit so there are no clearance issues and get some Matiz alternator brackets to mount the alternator on the other side. Need to get a bracket made up to mount the S/C and then some hoses worked out.

Just hope the S/C is big enough to make a difference. :|