help F8B wont run

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
cozza

well it's all happening again the new mb is playing up now,
i can start the car no dramas there but i either have to keep foot on the pedal or the choke out halfway, as soon as i put the choke in it stumbles and stalles as if somebody has turned the key off, if i use the throttle it just revs then stalls, it has new plugs, leads, rotor button, points, dizzy cap, coil pack and fuel filter. it was running fine the other day but just now it doesnt seem to wanna run, there isnt any fuel blockages that i can find, timeing seems correct fuel pressure is correct, ive tried adjusting idle speed and fuel mixture, and still nothing. any help would be great.
mental

Mine was doing the same thing! Ive worked out so far that i had sucked up some dirt into the carbie, so check that you havnt done the same thing. Just take off the top of the carbie and clean out the fuel bowl. Also i had adjusted my points, but as the screw was not the greatest, i couldn't get it as tight as i would've liked. Drove fine for a bout a week, but then the screw came loose and closed the points. Did exaclty what you described. Ive changed the screw and have been driving fine since. Hope this helps!!
Brayden

If you're sure everything is adjusted properly then give this a try:

1) Remove the air filter assembly and the centre spindle that holds it on.
2) Grab a pair of thongs.
3) Start the engine, rev it up and stick the thong over the carby for a second, no more.
4) Remove thong and control the revs so the motor doesn't stall.

This will clear any shit out of the idle circuit and should get it idling smoothly. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Trav

Is there anything that a thong can't do?

:snigger:
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
cozza

cheers boys i tried the thong trick but with my hand made a slight difference but not much takes a little longer to stall but definatly leads to dirty fuel will remove top of carb and clean it out might also take the carb off put it on the bench and flush it with high pressure carby clean. will update progress on the situation.
btw how much do youse think mine would be worth i mean as it sits with the new respray, tyres, exhaust extractors, hard cover, retrimmed doors, seats, dash,
Billie

$2500-$3500
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
cozza

lol yer i didnt think it be worth much ive spent close to 4k on it fixing it up,
cozza

ok it just runs barely it will idle but sounds like it has a massive cam, idle screw it done up all the way, removed carb and replaced with rebuilt spare, adjusted the timeing no difference where i set the timeing it still does the same thing.
Brayden

Are your points set properly?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
cozza

yer i even put new points in when i replaced the cap and rotor button, it's got me stumped on this ive just about had enough and about to save up to get a mechanic to fix it, i must have sexy fingers because lately everything ive touched ends up fkd ive got 5 cars here and not one wants to run properly.
Billie

If you were closer I'd take a look.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
mental

Change your fuel filter as well as cleaning out the carbie. Mine was clogged with a tonne of crap when mine did this. Also might pay to blow out the fuel lines incase theres anymore crap left in them.
Billie

Swap around ignition leads and start her up. That will clean any shit in there :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
cozza

ive swapped the fuel filter out 2 times they wer clean as blew the fuel lines out with some compressed air drained the tank and there doesnt seem to be any gunk, even swapped the fuel pump out with a new one still no difference, could it be the key on the timeing pulley?
gadj

A loose front pulley will do it - happened with a G11 Charade I had. Bottom pulley not as likely to make as much difference as the top though unless the key/ key-way are chewed up.
I'd say your just up for a process of elimination. Carbie & dizzy done, so next do a compression test if compression is good go through the steps involved with replacing the timing belt - remove belt, check pulleys are firm, get timing marks aligned & put belt back on. Rotate crank a little clockwise so the tensioner takes up all slack before nipping up tensioner bolts. If that doesn't work you will have to go through the 3 induction elements air/fuel/ignition until something works.
Don't want to put a bummer on you but my F8B was running like it had a big cam when I found the rings shattered after a gutfull of E10. There are other causes.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..