Alloy mini radiator?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ToranaGuy

Trade thru suzuki is rather cheap, so when I'm there next week picking up some bits for a mates Wagon R+, I will be picking up some hoses myself.

I have drawn up some plans for some brackets, and hopefully will get them made next week. I should also drop into Pirtek & get an adapter to fit the temp probe to the radiator too. So much to do for one mod lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
ToranaGuy

I went past Suzuki today, ordered the rear 2 mounts for the engine & picked up some bushes I had on order for a mate. Also put some hoses on order as well.

I dummied up the stock F5a/F8b fan on the new radiator today, without lots of cutting it won't fit, shroud is too big. I have a spare one, so I am considering cutting it up & using it for now, and maybe getting a davies craig fan after new year.....

I had a look at work, a 10inch davies craig fan is going to cost me $61 staff price, so I have been looking on Ebay. There are a few 10inch thermo fan's That I have been looking at, basically it's a choice between a 6 blade & 10 blade fan, only $10 total price difference between them, but both work out to be between $10 & $20 cheaper than what I can get one thru work for....

So what's ppls thoughts on the fan situation? Could a cut up stock shroud + fan do the job? Would it not do a good enough job without a proper shroud? Should I make up a new shroud to suit the new radiator & the stock suzuki fan?
Radiators side by side
Radiators side by side
Stock fan sitting ontop new mini radiator.
Stock fan sitting ontop new mini radiator.
Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

I got my fan for 20 or so bucks. Go with a aftermarket one, heaps better
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
ToranaGuy

Billie wrote:I got my fan for 20 or so bucks. Go with a aftermarket one, heaps better
There is one I like the look of that's about $55 inc shipping, but I have to watch my budget atm, but then again to be able to drive the car on a hotish day I need to get this new radiator in.....

Hrmmmm.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

I have my fan from my radiator here if you want it, sold the radiator so no use, its a 10inch fan but worked well.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Matty

Mine is 10 inch and just made the brackets to hold the fan.... Your radiator looks similar.
One day it will be DONE!!!
ToranaGuy

Matty wrote:Mine is 10 inch and just made the brackets to hold the fan.... Your radiator looks similar.
You mean the stock mighty boy fan?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Matty

No i got a 10inch fan from supercheap.
One day it will be DONE!!!
ToranaGuy

I did some measuring up & it looks like a 10 inch will have the edge of the fan hanging over the side of the core a tad, which isn't good for correct airflow thru the core, so I'm going to try a 9 inch fan, see how it goes.

I picked up some fittings to adapt the temp probe into the bottom of the radiator, just awaiting arrival of the fan, then I can fit it up.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
nelpd96

I have been doing some research on the whole radiator thing and from what I can figure you can probably fit a larger radiator in the MB than the mini one. I have had a look and a Honda Civic looks to be the biggest that will fit I will just have to have a check and make sure that it will clear height wise as they are quite tall, around 400mm. Price wise they are the same but I would prefer the extra cooling capacity if I can get it.

Cheers
Paul
Billie

I'm going with a custom dual core one. Kind of like the falcons and most modern cars with the expansion tank having the pressurised cap, it will sit right in where the subframe front is. Will be mounting oil cooler next to it and posible condenser if i want to fork out the money for a universal air conditioner system. Theres a few other cars that radiators will fit from, just hose size might be a problem. A cut down commodore one would be good, alot would need taken out, or even 2 mini radiators.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
ToranaGuy

I think the mini radiator will be fine for my F8b turbo setup, but If i was stepping up to a G10a I'd want something bigger. The current radiator almost does the job now, it's about half the real size of the mini radiator.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

Mini one would be fine for a g10a.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Husky

Does anyone know the capacity of the standard MB single core radiator(ml)
Thanks
Husky

FYI guys, I,m doing the MB radiator to Mini Rad conversion and fitting a Davies craig 10" fan that was fitted to my MB radiator. I'm running a full electronic temperature control and have been for 9 months.(Electronic controller with variable temp setting and electric water pump and fan) A few weeks ago it was quite hot and humid and I was stuck in crawling, stop start traffic. The Mighty boy did get hotter than normal but not excessively however to help avoid this I,m Fitting the Mini Radiator as pictured by other guys further up the post.
I have measured the capacity of both radiators
MB 650ml
Mini 1050ml
So around a 60% increase in capacity. :) So at least the total cooling system capacity will increase by 400ml and be able to transfer heat better to the atmosphere.(helped also by the Mini rad being full alloy)
I will take photos and post my conversion
Cheers