Turbo or Supercharge whats cheaper to do?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
madtwitch

Hi guys just bought a Suzuki MB its got the 800 in it and I was wondering what would be the cheaper way to get a bit more Hp out of it?
arklan

go turbo, they use exhaust gasses to power up and so dont use up much from the engine.
the super charger can use as much as 30% of your engine power to give around 50% more power giving u an improvement of around 20%

superchargers r easier and cheaper to rig up tho
Trav

arklan wrote:go turbo, they use exhaust gasses to power up and so dont use up much from the engine.
the super charger can use as much as 30% of your engine power to give around 50% more power giving u an improvement of around 20%

superchargers r easier and cheaper to rig up tho
If you get 50% more power, then you get 50% more. You can't say you get 50kw at the wheels, but the supercharger takes some, so you only get say 40kw.

I've got a supercharger because I wanted to be a bit different to the run of the mill turbo :)

In the end, if you have a power increase, then it's all good. :thumbup2:
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
madtwitch

Ok cool what turbo should I be looking for I've been told to go a t28 ball bearing turbo any suggestions?
Brayden

madtwitch wrote:Ok cool what turbo should I be looking for I've been told to go a t28 ball bearing turbo any suggestions?
A T28? Seriously? :roll:

Lets start with the most important question. What is your budget and what is your power goal?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
madtwitch

Well dont really have a goal on the power and the budget at the moment is low but im looking at doing it over 12 months or less hopefully less and would like to try and have everything ready so when it comes time to pull her off the road everything is ready to go. Was looking along the lines of the g10a :?: :?: :?: :?:
cozza

pros and cons of both.
starting with the turbo,
great for improved power, simple and effective,
cons are that it takes more time and money to setup properly, getting the right carb or converting to efi, tuneing is a big issue, from boost spikes to leaning out or massive lag, intercoolers or not, cooking holes in pistons,
but turbos are good if you spend the money on quality.

superchargers are also good because the boost is allready there depending on your setup, very easy to setup and easilly adapt to both carb and efi.
cons of a supercharger is allmost the same as a turbo setup, except it robs the engine of initial running power, tuned uncorrectally and you can lift the head off the block very quickly,

both setups are good it just depends on your budget and which one you like better, getting a turbo for the 800 is easier then a supercharger as the supercharger usually has to be custom made or pulled off another car. the hitachi turbo from the f6at engines are redilly available from japan and there is a garrett turbo which will fit on the 800 but is quiet exspensive.

so which every you chose just remember head mods, pistone and rings b4 you bolt on boost.
Brayden

madtwitch wrote:Well dont really have a goal on the power and the budget at the moment is low
If your overall budget is less than about $4k I wouldn't bother with forced induction at all. Spend less than that and all you're building is an unreliable headache.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
cozza

if you are ona very low budget mabe look at a cam and some head work suprisingly they little f8b responds much better with a cam change then the f5a