mightboy body on a sierra chassis

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

Jamesy wrote:Does anyone have a chassis spec for the mighty boy and body mount points?
Easy. A MightyBoy has no chassis, it is a primitive monocoque design. Therefore also no body mount points. Basically if you want to mount an MB on a Sierra chassis you cut bits off until it fits.

Technically you can put an SR20 in a Sierra legally, turbo or non-turbo. Wouldn't be the most sensible choice if you were primarily using it offroad though.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.

Brayden wrote:
Jamesy wrote:Does anyone have a chassis spec for the mighty boy and body mount points?
Easy. A MightyBoy has no chassis, it is a primitive monocoque design. Therefore also no body mount points. Basically if you want to mount an MB on a Sierra chassis you cut bits off until it fits.

Technically you can put an SR20 in a Sierra legally, turbo or non-turbo. Wouldn't be the most sensible choice if you were primarily using it offroad though.
Is that legal in all states or just your state? very interesting as Id love to do a lowered sierra rwd only with double wishbone front end big flares to suit big offset wheels, long wheelbase, 5 link rear
and sr20ve or late qr25de and 5 speed.
Brayden

The engine conversion is legal anywhere that uses the DOTARS NCOP regs. The difficulty is finding an engineer who'd be interested in certifying a body swap and engine conversion in one hit. From speaking to guys who have done the body swap they said it was much easier to engineer using the standard Sierra running gear, and then approach the engine swap later.

As for lowering a 4WD, last time I checked it was illegal in NSW/ACT. Height can be raised, never lowered. Couldn't ever understand why though. :?
gadj

Most likely would have to be built as an ICV (Individually Constructed Vehicle). MB on Sierra/LJ50/LJ80/Jimny chassis can be done as a re-body as Brayden said. I'm pretty sure all suggested mods will require a Modifications Engineers input from planning through to completion. I'm not familiar with the new modifications rules as yet but have been told there isn't any change from the view that anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ferdie

i am still trying to build an icv using mightyboy bits

problem i have been facing is that qld transport are saying an ICV cant look like a already existing car.

ie unless its a replica (lotus7, cobra, gt40) and then it hs to have a reasionable motor for that purpose, u cant use a mightyboy body cos it looks like a mightyboy, and a mightyboy replica would have a 800cc or a 550c

trust me ive spent over 1k on numerous submissions to qld transport in the last 18months.

will continue to throw money at it till i get what i want...
Jamesy

Thanks guys - great replys. Trying to read as much as I can before venturing down this road. Have found a suitable Sierra that has a 4age turbo with lift kit etc (might be a little too much power) also running hilux diffs. When you say "cut till it fits" are you meaning figuratively or literally speaking here? Do I grab the oxy and start recessing until it suits or are there areas that require more support than others under the mighty boy? There was a mb online that I found and thought it was great - BEE 14F. Does that guy come on this web site or does anyone know where this mod was done? I'm struggling to find someone who I can talk to about approvals as I live in mackay, nth Queensland, and as you can imagine Qld transport have there hands full. Thanks again for the replys fellas.
gadj

About 12 years back, I came across one of the first 4wd MightyBoy conversions (for sale at the time). The owner told me he had used a stretched LJ80 chassis & drive-line. He had completely removed the floor pan from the MightyBoy, constructed a new floor pan on custom (engineer approved) mounting points & welded/bolted the body to the floor pan.

The white 4WD MB that was at Summernats a couple of years back was a better example of what can be done using Sierra bits.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Brayden

Jamesy wrote:Thanks guys - great replys. Trying to read as much as I can before venturing down this road. Have found a suitable Sierra that has a 4age turbo with lift kit etc (might be a little too much power) also running hilux diffs.
Is the conversion certified? If not I would get that sorted out, and talk to the engineer at the same time about a body swap.
When you say "cut till it fits" are you meaning figuratively or literally speaking here? Do I grab the oxy and start recessing until it suits or are there areas that require more support than others under the mighty boy?
Literally, but it will require some planning. The biggest issue is the firewall, because mods to that are usually considered a no-no, but a requirement for the engine/gearbox configuration.

We can give you plenty of advice, but at the end of the day you really need to talk to the engineer who has to certify it, because he's the one you have to satisfy.