3 Cylinder Tacho!!

Chat about anything and everything.
jason

thanks. have just pulled carby apart and blown it clear with compressor. got out heaps of junk. all fuel lines nice and clear. could timing make such a difference? and what is the best to set it on? 5 or 10 degrees btdc? new air filter too. how hard are the tachos to install?
Josh

Having a clean and accurately timed spark makes a huge difference to your engine's power output and driveability. As I recall the F5A engine is 10°± BTDC.

The installation of most tachos is as simple as finding a good place to mount them, supplying a single feed from the ignition coil and power from the Accessories feed and the backlight wiring for night use. Just follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter and you'll be right. :wink:
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
ToranaGuy

I've got a tacho from a charade here that i was planning on fitting into the MB, and always wondered what RPM's it pulled @ 100kph. It sounds a lot louder than 5000rpm in my f5a 4spd mb.

Would the 1000rpm less with the f8b 4spd save much fuel and more importantly save wear 'n tear on the egine? Just curious if i manage to get a f8b should i get the box as well or not bother.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

ToranaGuy wrote: Would the 1000rpm less with the f8b 4spd save much fuel and more importantly save wear 'n tear on the egine? Just curious if i manage to get a f8b should i get the box as well or not bother.
It makes ALL the difference. With an F8B engine on an F5A box, first gear becomes virtually useless! ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote: Would the 1000rpm less with the f8b 4spd save much fuel and more importantly save wear 'n tear on the egine? Just curious if i manage to get a f8b should i get the box as well or not bother.
It makes ALL the difference. With an F8B engine on an F5A box, first gear becomes virtually useless! ;)
ROFL. First is almost use less as it is in the MB unless you have a load in, but i know a lot of " commercials " that are like that. Altho 2nd in the mb is almost useless for takeoff, lacking in torque to do it. So it's settled then, i'll grab the box as well if the opotunity arises for a f8b & box.

I'm used to driving grunty or more properly said torqy manual cars, such as my torana 6cyl, wasn't big in KW but had loads of torque, and if i had 2 or less passengers with me i could take off in top gear ( 3rd ) without abusing the clutch much. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Goofy[HSK]

pfft, that tacho only goes to 8...
*looks at alto tacho - 9k redline, 12k finish*
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
ToranaGuy

Goofy[HSK] wrote:pfft, that tacho only goes to 8...
*looks at alto tacho - 9k redline, 12k finish*
The one i have goes to 7.5k, red line @ 6k, which would be about right for the mb with a f5a or f8b i reckon.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Josh

Spot-on, in fact... :wink:
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Mommers

two questions with those Speco gauges..... do they come with its own gauge pod as I would like it installed on the driver side windcreen pillar and are they hard to install??
Eskibagh

they dont come with their own pod

no they arent hard to install, four wires, one on the coil, one earth, one 12v for back light, and one on ignition

too easy
"Oh! look at that car burn! Does it get any better than this?" H. Simpson
Munchskinman

Does anyone know if SCA would get there hands on the 520-03 if i asked them to? or could i get the speco place to send the tacho to my house.
Eskibagh

http://www.speco.com.au/distributors.html

National Retail Groups:

Autobarn
Head Office Tel: (03) 9840 1033

AutoOne
Head Office Tel: (02) 9756 6530

Super Cheap Auto
Head Office Tel: (07) 3480 7700
"Oh! look at that car burn! Does it get any better than this?" H. Simpson
daronk18

just get your local repco to get one for you. i work for repco and thats where i got my speco one from and the pod as well. nice and cheap it was. Repco is the only place to shop.. :lol:
Munchskinman

daronk18 wrote:just get your local repco to get one for you. i work for repco and thats where i got my speco one from and the pod as well. nice and cheap it was. Repco is the only place to shop.. :lol:

how long does it take them to order it in and is there an excess price? lol ill probly go down to repco on monday and order it in anyway cheers.