5 speed for f8b??

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
edmund

How tough is it to get the Daewoo Matiz 5-Speed fit onto the F8b??? I know it's cable select and all that, so what modifications will have to be carried out??

Or should i just see if i can plonk the whole Matiz powerplant in???
stevan_istheman

From what i've heard it's quicker and easier to do the whole F8C matiz conversion.
You get fuel injection, less k's and also parts would be easier to come by on a 5-7 year old engine rather than a 20 year old one! :wink:
My opinion:
Why wouldn't you go the whole hog with the F8C instead of trying to adapt bits and pieces so the 5-speed will fit the old engine?
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
edmund

Steven, what modifications will have to be made to fit the F8C in my suzuki hatch engine bay??? Engine mounts??? Subframe??

How does a cable select work opposed to what we have already!!!????!!! :(
Brayden

The work involved in an F8C swap is pretty much the same as what is required for an F6A swap: Mounts, subframe, driveshafts, ECU wiring, hoses, fuel pump, etc.

Cable select works by using two cables to operate the shifter, rather than a single solid rod. I'm not sure of any technical superiority, but it does save on space and allows freedom of placement for the shifter itself.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
stevan_istheman

So... why bothe with an F8C when it'll cost almost the same to do an F6A/K6A conversion! :twisted:

Unless you don't want the turbo. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
Brayden

Because the F8C was fitted to Australian Daewoo's, and should make spare parts cheaper and easier to come by.
stevan_istheman

Well i priced up a front cut F8C matiz and the importer wanted like $800
but before that i went to the wrecker and they were asking about $2000 just for the engine! :-o

But yes the F8C parts should be easier to get...
BAL4 Designs
hatch4play

Note the gear ratios in a f6a are not much different to a f8b 5th gear will top out at around 150k's i have heard. my f8b tops out at 148k's with only 4 gears. although i am not sure on the matiz gearing it is probably much the same too. would be wise to have a test drive of a matiz and see what it gets to!
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/hatch4play/]View My Gallery![/url]
Injected F8B Hatch!
Soon To Be Turbo!
niiko

it is about the same.
hatch4play

i think some more research on 5 speed ratios that will suit is in order! because there is no point going to all the hassle just to have a 5th gear if the ratios are not much different!
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/hatch4play/]View My Gallery![/url]
Injected F8B Hatch!
Soon To Be Turbo!
stevan_istheman

I've posted this page before and no doubt a fair few of you guys have already seen it, but here goes.
http://www.suzukituning.com/SuzukiTunin ... Tuning.htm
Up near the top is the gear ratios for the F5A and F8B 4 speed gearboxes and down the bottom is the 5 speed matiz gearbox ratios.

It also has some info about the F8C engine compared to the F8B so I hope this helps you guys...
BAL4 Designs
Brayden

hatch4play wrote:i think some more research on 5 speed ratios that will suit is in order! because there is no point going to all the hassle just to have a 5th gear if the ratios are not much different!
That would depend entirely on where you engine is set up to deliver peak power/torque. A 5 speed would be much better for an engine with a narrow powerband, such as an F8B. ;)
pony-tail

Looking at the F8C (Matiz) conversion - is the Matiz Automatic , a 2 speed or a 3speed ? and any reason why the F8C Auto combo would not fit an Alto or Mightyboy ? As good F8B autos are very hard to find ( my hatch has now got an Auto out of a 550 and screams at 100ks and the Auto in my CA91V is not too good either - I prefer an auto as most of my driving is in the Brisbane CBD)
Sorry to highjack the thread but my question is born from the answers to yours !
I have come to the end of an era After 20 years of Kei cars It is time to move on - And almost time to leave this forum and say thanks to all who have assisted me .
Special thanks to Brayden