New Tata micro van to be released this year

Chat about anything and everything.
Billie

My f8b is pretty fuel efficent, and its running abit rich.
ToranaGuy

It looks weird, can't do even 60kph, rolls on cross ply tyres (barley good enough for a trailer in this day and age) and seems to only have seatbelts in the front.

I bet A/c isn't an option with that little power from the engine! Definitely built to a price, but so was the mighty boy in it's day.

Just to add fuel to the fire, i'd love to get the wheel power figures for my modified f8b before i turbo it, if i have the $$ to spend on a dyno run i'll do it for a laugh, see if i can get more than 25kw atw.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
gadj

The thing with diesels is torque (like Brayden says). A diesel might be well down on power compared to petrol but high enough on torque that given the right gearing it can outrun the petrol - look at recent developments at Le Mans.
I'm told the old steam railway engines were a similar situation. Most were around 1 to 5 horsepower (0.7457 to 3.7285 Kw) but stonking loads of torque allowed them to pull huge loads to appreciable speed.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Billie

Tough is like pulling power, Hp is like, how fast.

Like in drag cars, a more touquey car will take off faster, but the car with more hp will win.
ToranaGuy

Fair call on the torque argument. With so little Hp tho it would need a lot of gearing to do 100kph....

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

It might make it, but i wouldn't wan't to wait around to see it.
Brayden

The traffic in most of India is so congested that I reckon you'd be lucky to ever hit the top speed of the Tata van.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gadj

From what I saw in the media release I'd be thankfull that I wasn't able to max it out. In India it appears to be payload is more important & the idea is to replace the old 3 wheel tuk-tuks with something safer & a little harder to overload - try getting 8 - 10 people in the Tata like they do on the tuk-tuk.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ToranaGuy

Very good points guys.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
rf4burns

Gadj mentioned steam earlier in the post and i came across this http://www.damninteresting.com/the-last-great-steam-car -check out the Doble brothers car turn the key 30sec's later up to full "steam" and 95 MPH flat out 0-75MPH in 10 sec's and thats in 1924 with a car that weighed approx 3.5T. Wonder what we could make now with space age materials and the advances in electronics etc... :?:
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE
Tez

Thanks for that Rf...

That WAS an interesting read. :)

Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Mr Anderson

gadj wrote:From what I saw in the media release I'd be thankfull that I wasn't able to max it out. In India it appears to be payload is more important & the idea is to replace the old 3 wheel tuk-tuks with something safer & a little harder to overload - try getting 8 - 10 people in the Tata like they do on the tuk-tuk.
I'm guessing it will involve roof racks and/or straps.. they can be pretty innovative when packing people on transport in India!
1986 mighty boy, CB60 1L turbo, 80kw (107hp) at 12psi (sold)