Now the MB Build thread

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Brayden

Flex joint is a must-have item. I tried extractors without one and cracked the weld on the flange. :x
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
nelpd96

Yeah the challange now will be to get it a close to the join as possible without hitting the gear linkage. I don't have much room because I have got the extractors as long as possible and they join just under the steering rack. Either way as long as I get it in it will be a better proposition that what is in there at the moment which is nothing.

Cheers
Paul
Psi_Wagon

you dont need a flex join. all you need to do is hard mount the extractors (no rubber hanger) to the engine, just like the factory manifold is bolted to the block next to the oil filter. ive had no problems with mine.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
nelpd96

Ok the flex joint is in and so is that new cam. It pulls much cleaner through the mid range now and certainly has a little more up top but I am pretty sure that it needs more fuel now as with the cam, and extractors I am pretty sure that it will be pulling alot more than normal. I might have a go with the jet drills before I start on the EFI.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
SAM_2352.JPG
SAM_2351.JPG
SAM_2350.JPG
SAM_2349.JPG
nelpd96

Ok so a little update, I have turned into a techno nerd and downloaded an app for my phone that will estimate KW at the wheels and measure 0-100 times etc. On my private road it is telling me that I have about 38kw atw with the cam and extractors and doing 0-100 in about 12.5 seconds without a clutch dump so the 60' time is around 2.6 seconds. I will have to run it over the weight bridge to see how heavy the car is with me in it as I think that the 620kg that I have worked out is a little light.

It really hangs on now and will do 100 in second gear or pretty close to it. I have no idea how fast a standard MB is but it will be interesting to see if I am able to get it under the 10 sec mark for 0-100 with the EFI. Given that a standard swift GTI will do the 0-100 in around 9 sec it really isn't that fast but it is a bit of fun to drive at the moment.

Cheers
Paul
Brayden

38kw ATW sounds like the app is being generous. ;) If you want a real-world test I'll knock the boost down on my ute to 7PSI (39kw ATW) and we'll see what's what. :D

Alternatively I have a G-Tech Pro unit here that you can borrow.
nelpd96

Brayden, I would have thought that 38kw was pretty reasonable given the engine has that much power std at the flywheel. I think that given that you are only probably going to get 15% loss in a FWD then it should be about right, 15% from a much larger cam and extractors with very long primaries. Heck just putting EFI on them is good for 6kw which is funnily enough about 15% increase. I would love to have a run against your car but the reality is that because yours is turbo then it will have a significantly more torque than mine and will eat it for breaky :D

Where did you get your dynoed? I was going to go through Autotech in Hume because they will be doing the tuning on the Adaptronic later.

Cheers
Paul
Brayden

Jakes Performance in Mitchell for my dyno work. I'll be interested to see what your actual figures are.

Torque means very little when the vehicle weighs half a tonne. I've run against an F6A twin cam (less torque and more hp than my F8B) and I wasn't even in the game. Besides, with your engine having an extra 200cc I'd wager the torque figures would be closer than you think!
nelpd96

OK so it is booked in with Autotech on Wed next week so we will find out for certain what sort of power it is putting down. I have been working on the adapter for the ITB's and it is coming along well. I have got a little more work to do on it and then send it off to get it milled flat and it will be ready to bolt up.

I have ordered the new loom for the Adaptronic and have all the sensors organised I just have to find the different plugs that I need for the ITB's and I should be good the go. The only other thing that I have to do is work out where and how I am going to mount the extra Cam trigger for the reset so that I can run full sequential. It will give me the option of running coil packs as well if I want but I can't see it being needed for this application.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Engine side with a couple of holes to drill for the dowels in the head
Engine side with a couple of holes to drill for the dowels in the head
Can't really see the taper but there is a slight one to get them to line up
Can't really see the taper but there is a slight one to get them to line up
ITB side
ITB side
nelpd96

Bloody jinxed myself by booking the car in for the dyno. It failed to proceed yesterday on the way home from work. I am pretty sure it is a fuel issue because it starts and idles fine but under load it just dies in the bum. I am hoping that I have just picked up some crap in the tank and it is blocking the filter. I have got a new one at home so will blow through the fuel lines when I get home and fit it all up.

Fingers crossed.
nelpd96

I will have to take it for a longer drive to be certain but it seems to be ok after blowing out the lines and a new fuel filter. Will do a couple of drives over the weekend and see how it goes. The loom for the ECU turned up today as well whooo.

Cheers
Paul
courierguy

A nice long country drive should do it. :D
Brayden

Or a Lebanese tune-up. :lol:
nelpd96

Thought I was all good but no....... Died on the way the work this morning. I managed to limp it into work but I will have to trailer it home. More sediment in the filter but not massive, I have a feeling it is the fine mesh filter on the end of the in tank pump that is getting blocked. I will drain the fuel and pull the tank tonight and see what it looks like. If it is not that then I have no idea :NFI:

Just hope I can get it fixed before Wed morning so I can still pop it on the dyno.

Cheers
Paul
Breyten

In tank pump/filter? What tank are you running?
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.