arklan f8c engine swap

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Breyten

arklan wrote:can you get some pics of how hewball did his? it would help so much
We test fitted hewballs one early this year, and aside from a few slow fingers it was fine.
what do u mean slow fingers.
Just noticed, you will need to remove the alternator bracket to fit the engine mount bracket as well IIRC.
are you talking about moving the engine mount bracket near the alternator, or moving the alternator
Dont think we took pics, but will ask him to put a pic up.
Slow fingers = jammed between engine and bay/subframe a few times!

Oh, just remembered, the f8c has the alternator on the back, right? Must be the a/c compressor bracket on the front of the engine then. Basically you want to remove anything bracket-ish from the engine, and see if you can fit the mightyboy ones back on. Then try test fit. Probaby better to use a crane, and bolt the subframe back on to make sure all the clearances are accurate.

Some mounts and the steel they are attached to will need to be custom made, there is no getting around that.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
arklan

is it alright if i come and visit u and see how u put yours on, or u come up to wanneroo and i pay for fuel money.
seeing the way youv done it would help a lot, at this stage it looks like we have to remodel the cradle a bit.
arklan

Breyten

I'll pass your request to hewball. His engine bay is currently filled with boxes, so not sure he'd be able to show it fitting, but the bracket is mounted on the engine.

Really not sure cutting the subframe is a good idea.
Hewball

er there was no sub frame in the matiz it was mounted to the either side of the rails of the body, no subframe as such, the auto subframe may help more as the standard gearbox mount bolts under the frame so it may be modified to sit on where the auto bolts too on the frame without too much trouble

i should go dig out the mightyboy from boxes and the motor too and show how it was going to sit, well how the test fit worked out
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/Hewball/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
Billie

:-o

No offence but thats way dodgy what you just did. I work for Ultratune and even we wouldnt do that. Hand it over to a pro dude, engine mounts are pretty serious, especially when you have cut the strongest point of the car in half.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Breyten

Arklan, start shopping for a replacement mighty boy subframe.
Dont scrap the one you have, its no longer useful on a car, but I may have a use for it as a template.

Got some pictures of hewballs engine to illustrate using the f5/8 engine mount. Will switch to pc to upload shortly.

Ive been using my week off to work on my engine bay. DIY sandblasting is fun, but tedious.
Breyten

Attachments
What counted as subframe in the matiz
What counted as subframe in the matiz
Alternator mount, see how lower has been cut short to fit?
Alternator mount, see how lower has been cut short to fit?
Tight view of where engine mount bracket fits
Tight view of where engine mount bracket fits
Alt mount fits over the engine mount bracket. Also see the shaved mount
Alt mount fits over the engine mount bracket. Also see the shaved mount
Engine mount bracket. This lined up with factory holes in subframe
Engine mount bracket. This lined up with factory holes in subframe
Hewball hasnt refitted the aircon bracket at this point. Would need alteration to fit right.
Hewball hasnt refitted the aircon bracket at this point. Would need alteration to fit right.
arklan

what did u do about the 45 degree angle that the engine mount bracket has?
if i attach the engine with that angle, it will be leaning right forward.

Breyten

Yeah, they do that. :)
See how it is just about the same angle as the bottom of the oil sump?
arklan

the angle of the sump and the angle of the bracket is heaps different.
we thinking of either putting a wedge shaped piece under the bracket to square it up a bit, or cutting the bracket and lengthening it on one side.
that angle is far too much
Last edited by arklan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trav

From looking at those pics, would that alternator bracket line up with the mounts on the F8B?

Would save me making mounts if I move the alternator to fit the supercharger.

Trav
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
Hewball

just for reference i did have to modify the tab on the inside of that mount slightly, which if you look closely you can see it discoloured in the last few photos, but it does mount after that change
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/Hewball/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
arklan

but what about the huge angle?
Breyten

I think youve come across something we hadnt checked or considered.
Using a wedge wont work, as the bolts in the mount wont reach through enough. Bending it will cause thr bolt holes on the block to be out of alignment. Unless you weld up the existing ones in the bracket, bend it to suit, then re-drill? I'd weld plate on the front of the bracket to assist, but that might make it too thick.