arklan f8c engine swap

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Hewball

i think you will find that once the engine is placed in there and compared to a standard motor it looks very similar, its just that the f8cv motor usually sits vertical in the matiz and to make use of the space they added a higher intake plenum to fit correctly, rather than in the mighty boy they had carby and because of this rotated the motor forward to make room to fit this at the back of the motor lower down as to not lift the bonnet as much

hope this makes sense

Courtesy of Breyten
F5A Engine Mount
F5A Engine Mount
Last edited by Hewball on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/Hewball/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
Billie

Original f5a's have pretty big angle to them anyway.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

problem is that if i go with the angle on the engine side, the mount on the gearbox side will be on an angle, the gearbox mount on the mboy fits perfectly in to where the mount for the matiz was. the thread is even the same size.
so with that sitting flat, the bracket on the engine side is leaning too much.

so we'll cut the bracket near the front bend, bolt it all up (the back of the engine needs a few spacers as hewball mentioned) then weld it back together with an extension in the cut to make it flatter using some rod on the edge and flat bar.

edit: we ended up leaving the this bracket alone
Last edited by arklan on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hewball

out of interest in regards to oil pickup i dug through the manual and found this

so it seems oil pickup would be lowest point in the oil pan with engine leaning forward
Screen Shot 2012-01-06 at 11.48.42 PM.png
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/Hewball/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
arklan

the tow bar

arklan

this is what we did to correct the over lean.
Billie

Who did the welds? My engineer wouldnt pass them.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

the brake booster from the matiz wont fit so im looking around for an eletric option.
there r kits to buy and a few gm and ford cars use electric brake boosters for their heavy cars.
are there any cars that r common that have electric brakes that i can pilfer as ill be able to mount it inside the car or in the tray rather than the engine bay where theres almost no room atm
Billie

Vh40 remote booster. My swift gti booster is under the dash where the original master is. Way to much effort with electric booster.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
mowog

vh40 will be way too big, thats what you put on an eh when going to discs front brakes. vh 24 might be better or look at a gemini one they are quite small.have one in the shed.
arklan

what year gemini?
Billie

Vh44 and 40 work fine.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

You don't need a booster unless you have legs like a muppet. :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Breyten

Or the engineer says so! :p

I'd rather have, if adding some weight and more power to the car. Especially if it can be done relatively easily.

Billie, have you got any pics of the setup you have? (IIRC, you have fitted one)
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Billie

Or you have a car with four wheel disc brakes. Drums are self energizing. Discs require alot more force. On my set up it is needed. My master/ booster came off the car that my front and rear brakes came off.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝