arklan f8c engine swap

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
arklan

roll of 5/16 bundy tube from repco and fuel pump from ebay
pump - 70$
postage - 15$
Last edited by arklan on Sun May 20, 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
arklan

ok so a few weeks progress, went in to auto1 and they wanted 19$ per meter for 5/16 efi fuel hoseImage
went in to repco and they wanted 24$ for the same hoseImage
went in to hitech (wangara) and they told me 13.75$ a metre so i was pretty happy with that, came back with my dad and they charged him 8$ a metre, a third of the price of repco!

so i cut the little plugs off the plastic matiz fuel hose and plugged them in to the rubber line, hooked up all the fuel tank and fuel pump. the fuel pump is in the spot where the stock filter used to be, everyone says that is the best place so thats where i put it.
hose clamps from auto1 are $2 each and from hitech they r 80c, i used over a dozen of the little bastards in this.
the feed line from the tank goes to the pump with rubber hose, then from the pump to bundy tube up to the engine following where the other 2 metal lines go. the guard has a half pipe shape that the bundy tube fit right inside of so i just ran it in the inside guard, on the outside guard iv run the power wire for the fuel pump. the wire i put inside the plastic matiz fuel line to protect it against rubbing and mud and general shit on the road.
iv used pieces of garden hose to protect both against rubbing.

in the engine bay, the feed line goes up to the fuel filter and uses the matiz plugs, so whenever i want to change the filter the hoses just clip off and it snaps in to place, all very neat and convenient :thumbup1:

for the return line, iv used the mboy feed line. from the fuel rail it goes in to 5/16 hose, then 5/16 bundy tube, then 1/4 mboy hose and then in to the mboy feed line, it might have used a few extra hose clamps but it will be neat and nothing will be loose.
going to the tank, i put a copper T piece in the fuel filler breather hose. i took a picture of it but i dont have it any more, anyway because of my dads work i was able to get a piece that is the exact perfect size of the breather hose and has a piece coming out that matches the 5/16 rubber hose complete with flare.
now i know a lot of u will probably think this is rough but i dont see how there could be any problems with this unless the breather hose is some kind of hose that corrodes with petrol.

the EVAP line remains the same. fuel filler pipe straight to charcoal canister.
Attachments
P1030413.JPG
P1030411.JPG
P1030408.JPG
arklan

for the speedo cable, the end of the mboy cable is a female end that looks like a screw that needs a flathead, with the gearbox having a flathead screwdriver end to turn the cable.
the matiz has a square type on the end of its cable and a square hole in its gearbox end.
so with 2 female ends, i made up a key that has a square end that goes inside the square matiz gearbox end and a flat end that goes inside the mboy speedo cable.

to join them together, i used a piece of rubber hose to join them up and seal the gap, the hose was a perfect fit on both ends, its a tight fit so i know it wont come off.
Attachments
P1030406.JPG
P1030405.JPG
Billie

I just ran new lines down the car. I'll get a pic. Best to run the filter as close to the pump.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

hooked up the brake lines this morning, iv been putting off this part coz i thought it would be a real c of a job but it was actually really easy.
just took off the rubber hose from the mightyboy (2x 19mm) and the rubber line from the matiz (vice grips, multi grips and a 10mm) and just hooked up the matiz rubber line to the mboy metal end
it fits perfect and the rubber gromet on the matiz brake line sits inside the metal bracket on the back of the matiz strut so it all went together really conveniently.. almost too convenient
Attachments
P1030423.JPG
Billie

Yep all goes together very nice. I've got all need steel brake lines in my car so no problem with old rounded flare nuts. Makes me happy. When is the wiring getting done?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

iv got the exhaust to do and a couple of plastic things to attach to the firewall and ill take it over to his house.
i was gonna get my cousins bf to wire it up but he had a stroke a month ago so i think ill give him a miss.
hes 19 but he was born with a hole in his heart so he always has problems with that stuff.
a guy came in to my work (landscaping wholesaler) and he is an auto sparkie so hes gonna hook it up for me in lui of some landscaping gear, plus he lives a couple of streets away so its great.
ill probably take it to his house on the weekend if i get the exhaust fixed up by then.
im using the straight piece of exhaust from the matiz and then attaching the bent piece that goes around the fuel tank from the mboy coz it has all the right bends. if all is well ill fix up the matiz muffler for it but at the moment i just want to make sure its all running fine before i start fixing up all the little things
arklan

got the exhaust in today which was such a headache; weld, grind, fill holes, grind fill holes, grind, fill holes grind etc.
also fartassed around with the way the engine was sitting and now it will sit above the bonnet only an inch, so making a little bump for it wont be such a cop magnet.
Attachments
this is the T piece for the return line, goes in to the fuel filler breather and the original mighty boy fuel line
this is the T piece for the return line, goes in to the fuel filler breather and the original mighty boy fuel line
KEVIN

So if the vent becomes a return line HOW does the fuel tank vent ? :?
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
Billie

Why not use standard return port on fuel neck? just make it larger.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

KEVIN wrote:So if the vent becomes a return line HOW does the fuel tank vent ? :?
the breather hose is only for when filling up the tank, the car isnt running then so it can serve its purpose no problem.
when the car is driving im not filling it up so it doesnt need to be a breather then :p

the line that all of u keep saying is the return line on the mboy is actually the charcoal canister line. so im leaving that connected to the charcoal canister. since its in the right place and everything already to do that job
KEVIN

So while its running and using fuel the fuel tank will become a big vacuum tank, sounds like that should work nicely -NOT-
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
Brayden

Kev, my tank is set up very similarly. The two differences are that my tee piece gives priority to the return line, and I have a surge tank.

The only problem I have is that when I try and fill the tank the bowser cuts out constantly. I've never bothered to figure out why because I only fill the tank a couple of times a year! :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

My mighty boy never filled fast either.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

P1030430.JPG
this is a cardboard template for the hard cover. my dad has some marine ply at his work i can have for this.
most of everyones hardcovers sit over those little lips that have the rubber strips on but i want to keep the roof racks so mine will sit inside.
the marine ply will get a good soaking in fiberglass resin and will be cut down the sides so it can open up like other 4wd hard covers that go around roll bars like this;
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/1 ... nj_20.jpeg
from my work ill be getting some white synthetic grass to go on top, it has a rubber base so it will seal up the whole lot and make a seal when the lid is shut.
white grass looks like this;
http://www.asgoodasgrass-scotland.com/i ... hite01.jpg

so iv been playing with the hard cover while i wait for some replies on the daewoo forum.
i was fitting the radiator today and i went to the daewoo manual to see where the hoses go, where i had connected the main fuel line was actually the coolant hose for the throttle body and it just happens to be the same size as the fuel lines :s
so now i have no idea where the fuel line attachs and the daewoo manual doesnt say. so i just have to wait.
while thats going on i have time to play with all the little things