Spacers for my ride....

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
edmund

H&R - Wheel Spacers 15mm,
Bolt Pattern 4/114.3, Center Bore 66.2,
Stud / 12x1.25 Thread Style, DRS Style
for Nissan 240SX (S13)

When it comes to all-out cornering performance, one rule applies: wider is really, truly better. H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers let you balance the handling and performance of your car to suit your aggressive driving style, and without spending the time, money and trouble of springing for bigger wheels and tires. Most manufacturers, even Porsche and BMW, leave 20 to 30mm of extra space between the wheels and the fenders, to suit arcane regulations or to leave space for flapping tire chains. These light-alloy spacers push your existing wheels or even your hot, aftermarket alloys out to fill the wheelwells properly, giving you better cornering, better aerodynamics and even better looks.
DR Series (10-40mm Track Widening) This spacer is fitted between the wheel and hub, using longer wheel bolts (ordered separately). Please check type of bolt head (taper or round and diameter) and shaft length before ordering.
DRS Series (10-40mm Track widening) This spacer is fitted between the wheel and hub, exchanging the existing wheel studs for longer ones. The wheels are then fitted to the hub/spacer with the existing wheel nuts.
DRA Series (40-60mm Track widening) This Spacer is fitted to the hub with special wheel bolts and has new threaded holes for existing wheel bolts.
DRM Series (40-90mm Track widening) This spacer is fitted to the hub with special nuts and it carries new wheel studs for the existing wheel nuts.
NOTE: ALL DRA, DRM, and DRS kits come complete with all necessary wheel bolts, studs and nuts. These will be used in connection with the existing parts fitted to the vehicle. DRS kit requires the new studs to be pressed into the hubs of the vehicle.

Can you please tell me if these spacers are suitable for my hatch?

And could someone explain the lines in bold!

Pressed into the hubs of the vehicle????

Info courtesy: http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp ... HR30646621
Gladier

Yes these should fit on your car.
DRA Series (40-60mm Track widening) This Spacer is fitted to the hub with special wheel bolts and has new threaded holes for existing wheel bolts.
This doesnt apply to you as the spacers you are looking at are only 15mm wide.
DRS kit requires the new studs to be pressed into the hubs of the vehicle.
The thing is, with spacers you effectively shorten the wheel nut - the spacer goes inbetween your tire and the wheel hub. now because you have shortened it you have put increased amount of stress on the thread - because you have less threads than you do without the spacer. Stress is force/area. so by reducing the number of threads you are using you effectively decrease the area which the force acts upon.

By doing all of this you ahve quite a good possibility of shearing off all of your threads while you are driving along :-o it isnt cool when wheels fall off while your driving

So because of all of this H&R supply you with new wheel studs. To remove the old wheel studs you need to pull off the hub - lay it down on a bench and hit it hard with a 2 pound hammer - pushing the studs back through. to put in the new studs all you do is put the hub behind the wheel with the spacer on and put on the new nuts they supply, do up the nut and it pulls it into the wheel.
edmund

Thanks a ton for that explanation.......however i thought that the spacers fit onto the hub using the existing studs and then the wheel fits onto the spacer using the studs on the spacer, therefore eliminating the need to install longer studs on the hub!!

Doesn't it work like this :?:

as opposed to what you were saying......which is something like this.....

edmund

Like this............

???? :roll:
Brayden

Those large spacers are WAAYYY too big for a Hatch, your wheels would be sitting 2 inches outside the wheel arches.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Gladier

put a really really big set of flares on :D nobody will notice the difference
edmund

Brayden wrote:Those large spacers are WAAYYY too big for a Hatch, your wheels would be sitting 2 inches outside the wheel arches.
Hey brayden, i know those spacers are too wide, i just put them up as an example to illustrate what i was saying.........

And those thin ones are way too thin!!!

A 3/4" spacer should be ok right?

Will it be like the thin ones or the thick ones where the studs are concerned!!
Brayden

You need to work out why you need spacers though, I mean are your rims too far inside the guards? Could you just get rims with a different offset?

The rims on my ute are flush on the front, but the rear could probably do with 10mm spacers either side on the rear, definately no more than that though!
edmund

Brayden wrote:You need to work out why you need spacers though, I mean are your rims too far inside the guards? Could you just get rims with a different offset?

The rims on my ute are flush on the front, but the rear could probably do with 10mm spacers either side on the rear, definately no more than that though!
I get what you're saying brayden, i don't need the spacers for all 4 wheels, just for the rear wheels, same case as yours, i don't want the wheels sticking out or anything....

Finding a wheel with enough offset to negate the use of spacers is damn tough here.........an' if i do manage to find one it will be a design that i don't really like!!!

Bout my question on the studs, will a 10-20mm spacer need longer studs or will it be like the thicker ones that have their own studs??

Why havent you got spacer yet?
Brayden

Spacers are illegal in Australia because they put a high shear load on the studs, making them dangerous for use because (as mentioned earlier) hit a pothole and the wheel might snap off!

The other reason is that the MightyBoy/Hatch has very short studs, and to get the 10mm each side on the rear I could only use the "slip on" style spacers, which wouldn't leave me enough thread to bolt the wheel on!

My plan eventually is to buy 2 or 3 peice wheels and have the offset adjusted so the rears are around +30 and the fronts are +42.
edmund

Brayden wrote:Spacers are illegal in Australia because they put a high shear load on the studs, making them dangerous for use because (as mentioned earlier) hit a pothole and the wheel might snap off!
Ahh, Illegal.....hmmm....... :D
Brayden wrote:The other reason is that the MightyBoy/Hatch has very short studs, and to get the 10mm each side on the rear I could only use the "slip on" style spacers, which wouldn't leave me enough thread to bolt the wheel on!
Ok, justified, but won't getting the spacers that have studs on them work? But then again....thy're illegal........so why bother!!
Brayden wrote:My plan eventually is to buy 2 or 3 peice wheels and have the offset adjusted so the rears are around +30 and the fronts are +42.
I've heard of those, aren't they quite expensive? BBS or OZ??
Brayden

Everything good is expensive. ;) But as I understand it, 10mm spacers don't come with their own studs.
edmund

Brayden wrote:Everything good is expensive. ;) But as I understand it, 10mm spacers don't come with their own studs.
Hmmm, i know......money talks!!! :?

Just a question........ what's the first size that comes with their own studs?? 20mm???

PS: Aren't ya goin for the Commonwealth Games???
pj1983

hey if u just want some cheap spacers get some old rear drums off a datsun and cut the sides off them put them on the car vwala done if your only doing this on the back it has alot less stress then the front (shear force) eg lack of brakeing turning and motive force if ir still worryed get some deeper nuts that cover the thread more, but anyway i have used these on the rear for over a year and have had no fail, have carryed a 1JZ toyota engine with these. some ppl will disagree with this, but i have experienced shearing off studs in a borrowed S15 on the track on a openday the wheel jammed up inside the guard but hey that just proves the point of the less force on the rear wheels of a mightyboy

sorry for my rambling ons
:D :D