octane in a f8b

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
me217

whats the highest octane you can run in a f8b without causing problems.

me217
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
daronk18

have a search mate this has been talked about before..
stevan_istheman

Avgas... :lol: :twisted:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
Brayden

You can run as high as you want, but it won't make a rats-lick of difference to performance... well actually you might go faster because of the stage 3 lightweight modifications made to your wallet by running high octane juice. :D
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
me217

at the moment i run premium and it does perform better then standard. so thats y i was wondering if i went to an even higher octane if it would run better.

me217
me217

Brayden

Any performance increase on octane above 95 would be purely coincidental.
me217

ok thanks.
so the racing fuel they sell at shell is just a rip off.
is it the same in the bigger engines as well.

me217
me217

Brayden

To make use of higher octane fuels you simply need to have an engine that requires it. Otherwise you're wasting money.

Shell vpower (or any other 98+ octane fuel) isn't a waste for people like me that need to run it to stop their engine from pinging.
me217

so wen i supercharge my boy ill need to go higher. but just stick with premium until then.

me217
me217

Brayden

me217 wrote:so wen i supercharge my boy ill need to go higher. but just stick with premium until then.

me217
Depends entirely on how you go about supercharging the motor and how it is tuned. ;)
me217

what do u mean how i go about it.
how many psi ill b runin?

me217
me217

Brayden

I mean whether or not you decompress the motor, how much boost you're running, what the fuel delivery system is, and how the motor is tuned will affect what octane fuel you need to run.
Kartman

It's amazing how 'octane' is this magic term just like 'powerband'. Everybody talks about - not too many people know what it is!

The octane rating (it is only a number) is a measure of the anti-knock properties of the fuel. 'Octane' is itself a hydrocarbon. It is used as a reference to the fuel under test. Therefore if the fuel performs as well as 100% isooctane in the test, it is equal to 100 octane. But don't get the octane rating confused with the heat potential of the fuel! Methanol has a higher octane rating, but less heat potential than ulp. Also coupled with the fact that you need to run twice the amount of methanol in order to have it burn properly means that you may get more power - assuming your engine and fuel system can cope with it.

My VS Commodore runs fine on ULP with about 10:1 compression. When the temperature gets hot, it runs like a pig as the engine starts to ping and the injection system retards the ignition. In this instance, a fuel with a higher octane rating may allow my engine to perform better but not necessarily make more power than if the air was cold.

For an engine to make more power, you need to put more fuel or fuel with higher heat energy. With more fuel, you need more air or vice-versa.

For the powerband, we all know it is a small metal band inside a two stroke engine. Victas don't have one though.
ToranaGuy

Powerband can also be used to describe the Torque & KW/Hp curve of a given engine as well.

Eg: Say an engine has a powerband of 1500 - 5000 RPM for arguments sake, that's the range it will make it's best power, and where you want to keep he rev's if your racing. On the Dyno printout, you will see a line start at 1500 and go up until 5000 before it drops off.

Linky to the wikipedia article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_band

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Kartman

ToranaGuy - I was taking the piss. Its a bit like schoolyard talk - we used to talk about powerband of the two stroke motorbikes but really none of us really knew what it was but we'd nod in a knowing way when the word 'powerband' was used. Similarly with the term 'octane' - supposedly more octane = more power, which is not necessarily so.

Interestingly, the datasheet for Shell V Plus does not mention the energy of the fuel - considering it has 5% ethanol I wonder if it has comparable or less energy than the 98 octane stuff? Also since it has 5% ethanol, I wonder is your fuel consumption will go up (ethanol is about 8:1 vs petrol at around 14:1). It could be that using this fuel your engine won't ping, but make less power.