Guess what i did last weekend...

Chat about anything and everything.
stevan_istheman

What i did involved a newly rebuilt F8B, an engine crane and some cursing and swearing. :lol: :lol:

Just gotta get it running right now.
The second venturi was really loose and was spewing fuel down the throat so it would flood if i didn't have it at 2500RPM or more. :evil:

So this arvo i'm gonna try to swap the jets between carbies and make it go alright.

The next problem that's arised is the car getting really hot.. i'm not sure if it's the timing or if it's just wearing in a little but i'll try to sort that too.

I got all excited when we tow started it and i took off... because i had to make it "idle" at 2500RPM i had a jeremy clarkson moment.

!!POWER!!

I'm excited. :D
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
stevan_istheman

OK, got it all running right and started the task of running it in...
After afew days of driving it it still won't start on it's own, need to clutch start it. :wink:

Holey crap does it go!

Anyway, latest problem is when i got it home this arvo i decided to have a go at putting in the sports seats. pulled up in the garage and went about doing a couple things.
I get back and notice a few drops of oil under the front of the car, i get down to investigate and find the whole drivers side of the swaybar, control arm, etc. dripping with oil...
CRAP!!

so looks like my brand new engine is gotta come back out and have the oil pump changed. :evil:

i'm starting to think the import is looking very good.
BAL4 Designs
Alto Boy

Steve.....what a piss off, it's taken forever to get it to this stage.

Sounds like it's gunna be a bit of a hottie when you get it running right.

I'd love to pace you with mine while your running it in.

Greg.
Didn't I used to be somebody once !
Brayden

I had a bastard of an oil leak problem when I first installed my F8B. Turned out to be the outer crankshaft seal, and took me three goes to fix it. You can replace it without removing the motor, but it is easier with the engine pulled.

Then I had problems with a leaking sump gasket that took me about the same amount of attempts to fix. :roll:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gremlin

Sounds good, apart from the oil pump part.

On july 8th there is a suzuki cruise (saw it on redline gti) which i hope to be attending, pending my car being on the road. The cruise is heading up to the sunshine coast so might have to organise to meet up with you then and see your beast and to show off mine.
stevan_istheman

That cruise sounds interesting... Hopefully my car won't be leaking by then, and if it is i'll just carry a bottle of oil with me. :lol:
It may be a good chance to have a bit of a TAMON meet.

Yeah, looks like it's the main front seal on th outside of the oil pump, i had a chat to derek from suzisport and he said i can do it without pulling the engine.
And Brayden just confirmed it for me. :D

So that's the next job i've got to do... Along with lowering it and putting in the sports seats and getting a paint job further down the track.
^Damn lists never end.

steve.
BAL4 Designs
ToranaGuy

Nice to hear of another f8b powered might boy getting around!

Mine was also a bastard with oil leaks when i first put it together. The balancer seal didn't seal right. Took a 2nd go before that sealed properly. Then i had a leaky rocker cover gaskit. 2nd go sorted that. Then about 2mths after i had 2 new oil leaks develop. Fuel pump gaskit & the ext housing gaskit at the end of the cylinder head. Those oil leaks were a pita!

Been about 2mths since i sorted the oil leaks, now guess what? Rings on cyl2 are not sealing properly, burning lotsa oil as well. :evil: Done a comp test, cyl2 is the culprit. Rings were the only thing i didn't do in the bottom end when before i fit the f8b to my ute. Comp checked out fine, well within spec so i left them alone. Never again. Whenever i have an engine out, i will replace the rings religiously from now on!

Anyway, good luck getting the f8b's teething issues sorted. They are a lotta fun, but i must say i'm now wanting more power. 50% more than std just isn't enough anymore.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|