MB 800cc conversion NSW Registration

Chat about anything and everything.
dalderton

Does anyone know what if any problems there are with NSW Registration after converting a MB from 550>800cc Engine.Is it necessary to have engineers report or whatever.My 550 motor is ordinary and I have scored 2 800 hatches so the change is on if there are not too many dramas with RTA Regards Dennis
Brayden

Legally you are supposed to get an engineers certificate for the swap as the capacity/power increase is nearly 50% over stock size. (Maximum without certification is 15%.
The process of getting a certificate is very simple so long as your ute is in good working condition, especially the brakes.

The reality is that the RTA can often be VERY slack about enforcing the need for a certificate, so you might get away without it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Trevor

The last Mb I bought was registered with the f8b but there is no engineers for it.
dalderton

Thanks for that info.Incidentally the 550 has had a nip up in the centre cyl and dragged the ring lands over the rings.It had very little oil in it so I think that was the culprit.The rest of the engine seems in good nick. The bloke that I bought it off reckoned it was a blown head gasket but I wasnt convinced .Lovely little motor though.I might have to see If I can find a standard piston and ressurect it as it does not deserve to be trashed.Incidentally are those gasket sets on ebay for $145 good value?
Regards Dennis
yappa

Heres hoping the transplant gets approval, i have recently had a f8b rebuilt to go in a not yet registered little fella.
If it gets knocked back i will be shattered and the missus will kill me for the wasted money. :(
Keep us posted!!!