Strange Question

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
eris

Hey guys.... this may sound strange but is there a way of lifting the front of the mighty toy by about 1" - 2" ( besides putting it on a jack ) I go on alot of dirt roads and the front sounds like it is bottoming out. I had alook at the guards to see if the chivet mags are hitting anywhere but can not see any damage. is there a swap strut or any tricks that can lift this. thank u :? Cris
do red Mighty Boys go faster down hill???
Brayden

First thing would be to find out what is hitting where. I have my ute lowered 2" and it doesn't bottom out on dirt roads.

If the problem is that the struts are bottoming out it could be that the valves are stuffed (most likely if they are the originals), in which case you can have them rebuilt with Koni inserts, this would make the ride much better.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
eris

Thank you for reply. had a look under car couldn't see any signs of where it could be hitting, I bounced the car a few times and both sides seem to be ok & struts are dry around shock inserts with no noise or clunking. do you know if it is possable to lift the boy about 1 - 2" at the front as the road is a bit rough and this will give a better clearance. thank you for any help.... cris
mightyboy

unless brayden knows of an actual way to do this, i would take it to a suspension joint and ask them if they could find a spring that would fit and raise the car abit, maybe a spring from a swift or something
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
ike849

I would check your suspension bushes as they can make rather loud clunking noises when worn badly.

Most likely is what brayden said.....your struts are cactus!!! check the plastic guard inside your wheel arch for cracks and damage.

Another possibility is that you have the wrong tyre size, which will reduce your tub clearances and cause it to bottom out easily.... (145/70/12 std.)
StarSkyHatch

You can get cheap spring lower / lift kits - they are a couple of clamps that either clamp down or separate a couple of winds of the springs - of course there are limits!

PJ..
Brayden

As most of us know, lowered HD King Springs for the MK1 Swift fit into MB struts. King Springs are also available in HD standard height, which would keep the ute at the same level but stiffen up the front end to prevent it bottoming out. They can also make 1" raised if you need.

However fitting any new springs (especially HD) will be totally pointless if your bushes and struts are still the original 20 year old units, because the ride will become choppy and skittish on rough surfaces.
eris

Bingo, thank u Ike849. took the wheels off and the only thing I found is some marks on the OSF inner plasticguards under the fender.and a small mark on the lip of the guard at the top. I'd say this is it.... thanks Brayden I will take the struts out and chase up some new inserts. Does any body know the name and part number of any that will fit... just to save some time. thanks again 4 the help... cris
Brayden

Try searching "koni" and you should find the thread with part numbers.
ceej

http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103

As can be found (along with many other things you might want to know) in the Technical FAQ in the 'Suzuki MightyBoy' Section:
http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2738
Garry. Nuff sed!
ike849

eris, you will paying a lot more for koni inserts....labour + parts
If you wanted a cheaper option get a pair of struts from a SA model suzuki swift (approx. $200 new).

They will drop your front by 1inch and the mounting holes to the wheel knuckle need to be widened, but other than that a straight swap (if your still using your MB springs). As brayden has said you can drop the front by 2inch's and not have bottoming out issues (i've got 1 3/4 inch drop and no issues either)
eris

:) Thank you. will look at all options. I was hopeing to LIFT it by about 1 - 2" :roll: due to the dirt roads I use, but renewing the struts would help to firm the front end and might get the guard rolled so the tyre doesn't hit it or just replace the cheviot mags back to the cheese cutter standard rims and tyres :x thanks again... cris