I'm thinking about buying a MB.

Chat about anything and everything.
mael

Hello. I live in Japan.

When I moved to this little island I saw a Mighty Boy in a Suzuki car showroom, and I thought it looked small and fun. I didn't have any cash worth talking about so I just amused myself with the idea of owning one.

I don't know how many years it had sat in that showroom before I arrived, and I've been here for about 15 years - and it's still there! I think they use the back of it as a rubbish bin for squashed cardboard boxes these days.

So it's new - hasn't been used, but no one wants it. Well I might have enough cash for it very soon, and I haven't asked yet, but I can imagine myself using it, so I'm investigating things.

The one here is yellow. It's a 5-speed, and apart from that I know very little. - Though I'm pretty sure it'd be the 550 CC engine.

They're rear-wheel drive, aren't they? And carburated? Very light and nippy round the corners?

... Is it easily possible to shag in them?
Billie

Umm is this a joke?

And no its not easy to shag in them lol
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

mael wrote: They're rear-wheel drive, aren't they? And carburated? Very light and nippy round the corners?
Front wheel drive, carburettor, and yes very nimble around corners - but lots of body roll and squealing tyres too. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mael

No. It's not a joke. - But I haven't done anything more than think about buying this car.

It's been there standing unsold for how many years? I don't know - but the car first came out over twenty years ago from what I've picked-up today.

The only time I seriously lost control in a car was when I was in a big-engined FWD car. I've always had rear-wheel drive if I could get it.

Of course FWD cars must be safe, and it's the operator who must be at fault when control is lost, but I thought RWD seems a lot more sensible than FWD. Why? I dunno really? All the big-expensive cars are RWD, aren't they?

- So am I going to be all right with FWD and a really light back-end? Is the MB relatively easy to handle? (Not that laying rubber and driving dangerously is what I'm planning). In a tight spot I'd like to feel reassured the car is going to do what I expect it to - and the back sliding out is one thing I'm concerned with.

All kei cars are 660 cc these days. the 550 cc cars were only out for a year or two before they changed the rules here and allowed for a larger engine. but I just liked the 550s ... There are several cars with engines of 360 cc (Honda), and 380 cc (Suzuki & Daihatsu). I think they are great - those small engines.
Jermaine

haha it if its 550cc it wouldnt really have the power to make it spin out
Mr Anderson

Braden, nice concise answers.. but i think you missed one part of the query..

... Is it easily possible to shag in them? :)

However Billie seems to know that it is not easy.. :?:
1986 mighty boy, CB60 1L turbo, 80kw (107hp) at 12psi (sold)
Psi_Wagon

if it has just been sitting for that long, ide be a bit concerned about it even running to start with!

if you are going to buy it, you would need to budget in an engine rebuild. but ask them if its started regularly or not.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
Billie

Just chuck the 800 in :)

Lol mr anderson, you can give it ago yourself if you like, im 6ft 3. The tray on the other hand :P
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

Billie wrote:Just chuck the 800 in :)
Might be difficult to find in Japan.
Billie

Oh is he in japan. That would explain the mb not being sold.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
cam

Hi Mael,
こんにちは。始めまして。
Which island in Japan are you from?
How much is the mighty boy?
I guess ¥1 000 000 or so??

Whats the name of the car shop?
車屋さんの名前は何??

cheers

Cam
mael

Hello Cam.

I'm living on Amami O-shima. It's in Kagoshima. Plenty of Japanese don't know where it is, and the few who have heard of it think it's some sort of Jungle with monkeys.

Whereas in fact it's between the mainland and Okinawa and the dinosaurs have long since eaten all the monkeys. - I've been here for coming-up twenty years!!! (Where has my life gone)? :D

I was planning on the MB being sold cheaply - being as it's so old and no one wants it. I was hoping it'd go out the shop with a new 車検 for oooh say - 500,000 or somewhere not far above that. If they want a million for it then I don't think I'd be interested - I'd go up to maybe 750,000, but I'd be kicking myself.

I can't see how the car would need any work, but I'd like the rubber looked at for cracks. It's been inside a showroom all the time and hasn't been exposed to the elements at all. Even if there's a sheen of rust in the cylinders I won't mind - it'll wash off and the next oil change will remove the evidence (I reckon).

I can't remember the name of the showroom/dealer. I think the name must be very forgettable. Probably something boring like 'Suzuki - Plaza.'
mael

Billie wrote:Oh is he in japan. That would explain the mb not being sold.
Yes. Well parked all around the MB there are all the latest models. They've got everything-plus, and compared to the MB they are like comparing a computer to a typewriter. (Sounds good to me). 8)
Last edited by mael on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brayden

Enough talk - we need photos!
mael

Brayden wrote:
Billie wrote:Just chuck the 800 in :)
Might be difficult to find in Japan.
* I know of one person (Japanese) here who had a Suzuki with an 800cc engine. No, they aren't easy to get hold of.

But y'kno' - I kinda like those minute motors and 550 is fun! I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to cope with a lack of power.

I've got another car (when my wife lets me drive it). - and I've got my bikes - so I don't want a MB for speed, I want it because it is small and quick and easy to drive about and park.

* But I was hoping I could shag in it - I'm only 6' so I might manage it if I curl my toes.