Looking for documents on upholstery and rear audio installs

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
BLSTIC

As part of my quest to find an air conditioned car I have inherited a G100 Charade Mizuno Sports. Being a sports model it comes with (no) tacho, (standard) suspension, (standard) seats, (standard) wheel and shifter, (standard) sized steel wheels, and a stripe package. The only thing of any merit that I scored over a base model charade was air-conditioning. But the previous owner was a professional car audio installer so I have a half decent head unit and speakers, and he also waved his magic over the car and it now sports remote central locking.

Now the point of the post. Seeing as it's realistically a p.o.s, I might as well hone my skills on it.

I envisage a custom 'boot' area, with two 10" subs, whatever amplifier I deem neccessary (i.e. is shiny and cheap), a new false floor to cover the spare wheel/tools, and all covered in dark grey vinyl (to match the dash colour) with some foam under it (for that soft look and feel).

That *should* be able to be accomplished with normal shop tools and an industrial stapler.

I also wouldn't mind adding some decent padding to the seats, re-covering them with fresh material, and doing the door cards in the same. Making new seat covers would require a man-sized sewing machine though.

Naturally it's a big job, and it will take a while. But I can't possibly make the car worth LESS (unless I make it un-roadworthy), raw materials are cheap, and I have most hand tools.

So...

I need information (specifically how-to's, step by step guides, books and build threads) on woofer box tuning, custom rear enclosures and re-trimming auto interiors. If you have links, post them, if you have .pdf's I'll PM you my email, and if you have books I would be grateful to take them off your hands.

Thanks,

Ben
ferdie

mate, you are asking for info on box tuning, are you planning to go sealed or ported?? will they be in one chamber or will be in a box each??

also what subs cos comp style 10"s will need a different setup to cheap crappy 10"s

as for an amp, any shop will sell you an amp, but what the subs will need will define what you should buy...

i can help you design a box and get the volume right for the subs if i have more info...

as for the seats i cant help you there.....
BLSTIC

First up (before anyone gets too excited) this is more about aesthetics, fabrication and trimming more than sound.

That said, this is the look I'm after:

Two sealed enclosures (apparently wider frequency response and definately tider looks) just behind the rear seat, on the edges of the cargo area. Angle in and towards the rear. Ideally with 6" or 6x9" speakers also on the top of these enclosures (because I don't ALWAYS want want my 'epic beatz bro' running), but that may ruin the whole tidy look. The amplifier will probably be hidden (or at least covered) if I can manage it (again, tidy, and everyone else displays there $100 amp like a badge of honour). The floor will be level, the same material as the enclosures, and a new lift-up panel for the spare wheel and tools.

However the layout depends on the size of the spare wheel acess panel (I don't intend to have to remove it because i need to change a wheel). I'm also aware that having two completely different speakers attached to the one enclosure is madness and would lead to complete tuning chaos. The enclosure will have to have a sealed section for the smaller speakers (given that it's a small car however, I might have to have completely separate enclosures for packaging reasons).

As for speakers, these are an unfussed design http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... TID=1008#4 and fit the price perfectly. However they are 8-ohm speakers. Given that I'm not after the last word in sound, is running two in parrallel to get the resistance correct likely to cause any tuning issues?

Thanks
Ben
ferdie

dont run 6x9's with subs.

6x9's are a compromise between sub and mid range and do neither very well, if you were only putting one set of speakers in 6x9's are not a bad idea, but if you are putting subs go for a good set of 6" or 6.5" and then have subs backing them up.... if you can get a split pair, will sound even better.

if you can manage it get DVC subs at 4ohm/coil, each sub in parallel will be 2ohm, then each sub in series will see 4ohm to the amp.

im guessing the subs you have mentioned are household sub (8ohm usually is), they are made to make noise in a much bigger space than a car cab, better off with a car type sub....

spend about $20 more per sub and get into wow/jb/SCA and get a fusion or pioneer set...

give them about 1cu/ft each (about 32-28lt) put a layer of dacron type padding in the box on all walls (the fluffy stuff in pillows and blankets - from spot light for about $10/m) will make the sub feel like its in a bigger box and stop standing waves in the box.

make sure you liquid nails all the seams/joins in the box so its air tight.

and yes, different air space for the subs and the smaller speakers is a must...

ive built a number of autosalon trophy winning cars so if you want more info let me know...